Beer production represents approximately $116 billion in sales in the United States. It is a major force in the U.S. economy. The National Beer Wholesalers Association released figures for 2019 that indicate 203.1 million barrels of beer were shipped and sold in the United States. This includes large breweries as well as craft beer operations.
Brewery appraisals are used by banks to assess equipment value and offer loan products based on their value. Loans are often used for construction, equipment, expansion, and even operational expenses. Banks will often require appraisals to be done on a yearly basis to assess the health of an organization. If a brewery is looking to sell their business as a turnkey, an appraisal is an invaluable, instrumental tool. This allows the seller to know whether to accept an offer, sell now, or wait until market conditions improve.
The following segments of breweries are the types that have appraisals performed:
- Microbreweries are defined as breweries that produce fewer than 15,000 barrels of beer each year.
- Brewpubs are restaurants that contain a brewery and that sell at least one-fourth of the beer it produces on-site.
- Taproom breweries also sell at least 25 percent of the beer they produce on their premises but do not serve food as a primary function of their business.
- Contract brewing companies arrange with other breweries to produce some or all of the beer sold under their brand name.
- Alternating proprietors have licensed tenants of a brewery that is shared between a number of brewing companies.
- Regional breweries produce between 15,000 and 6 million barrels of beer each year.
How a Loeb Brewery Equipment Appraisal Can Benefit You
At Loeb, our USPAP-certified market appraisals give our customers clear insight into the value of their capital assets and give financial partners the security to lend on their clients’ assets. We take pride in delivering the best appraisal solutions for brewery customers throughout North America and Mexico. With over 100 years of experience in the valuation of brewery equipment we are here to help. If you are looking for an appraisal of brewing equipment, give us a call at 1-800-560-LOEB or visit us online to check out our appraisal services. We look forward to the opportunity to serve you.